Fulbright Awards Program



What are Fulbright Scholarships? Am I eligible?

Fulbright is the largest U.S. international exchange
program offering opportunities for students, scholars, and
professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced
research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary
schools worldwide (us.fulbrightonline.org). The Fulbright exchange
program was established in 1946 by the U.S. Congress to "enable the
government of the United States to increase mutual understanding
between the people of the United States and the people of other
countries." (us.fulbrightonline.org). Fulbright awarded approximately
six thousand grants in 2008, at a cost of more than $275.4 million, to
U.S. students, teachers, professionals, and scholars to study, teach,
lecture, and conduct research in more than 155 countries, and to their
foreign counterparts to engage in similar activities in the United
States (us.fulbrightonline.org).

To be eligible, applicants must:

  • "Be U.S. citizens at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible" (us.fulbrightonline.org).
  • "Hold a B.A. degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant" (us.fulbrightonline.org).
  • "Applicants who have not earned a B.A. degree or the equivalent,
    but who have extensive professional study and/or experience in fields
    in which they wish to pursue a project, may be considered"
  • "In the creative and performing arts, four years of professional
    study and/or experience meets the basic eligibility requirement"
  • "Applicants may hold a J.D. degree at the time of application, but not a doctorate" (us.fulbrightonline.org).
  • "M.D. or medical students or the equivalent (e.g., D.D.S, O.D.) who
    wish to continue medical or hospital training or to obtain practical
    clinical experience should apply to IIE. However, M.D.s who have
    completed formal postgraduate training and propose attachment to a
    hospital or clinic for independent or collaborative research should
    apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars"
  • "Be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a
    satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician"
  • "Have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of
    the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the
    proposed study. This is especially important for projects in the social
    sciences and the humanities" (us.fulbrightonline.org).

The total awarded amounts are as follows:

  • "Full Grant benefits for Study/Research and English Teaching Assistantships include:
  • Round-trip transportation to the host country
  • Maintenance for the academic year, based on living costs in the host country
  • Limited Health Benefits
  • In addition, Full Grants may include (see relevant Country Summary for details):
  • Book and research allowances*
  • Mid-term enrichment activities in many countries or world regions
  • Full or partial tuition
  • Language study programs
  • Pre-departure and in-country orientations" (us.fulbrightonline.org)

"In general, grants for 2011-12:

  • Are one academic year in length-between 9 and 12 months.
  • Begin no sooner than July 2011 and no later than March 2012.
  • Correspond to the academic calendars abroad" (us.fulbrightonline.org).
  • Fulbright receives its primary source of funding through an annual appropriation from Congress to the Department of State. Participating governments and host institutions in foreign countries, and in the United States, also contribute financially
    through cost-sharing and indirect support, e.g., through salary
    supplements, tuition waivers, and university housing


  • Professor Russell Mask is the Fulbright Program Advisor on campus. For more information, please contact him at Russell.Mask@covenant.edu
  • The Fulbright Award application process begins during the fall
    semester of the current academic term. The deadline for the application
    is October 1, 2010.